Sunday, 30 August 2026

Harpoon Shooter Nozomi (Switch)


 Though like any normal person, I prefer my shooting games to strictly follow arcade-style rules: no meta-progression, continues optional (and preferably punished), and scoring being based as much on skill (and as little on either luck or grinding) as possible. I will concede, however, that there is room for games to be experimental, and try different things within the framework of shooting games as a genre. Any such game, even if it's a good game, couldn't be considered a good shooting game. That makes sense, right? You're all on board with what I'm saying, right?

 


Harpoon Shooter Nozomi is such a game as I've just described. It's got a whole bunch of unlocking of weapons, unlocking of stages, various things like that, that mean that even in the "arcade" mode, scoring isn't completely skill-based, since the weapons you unlock in quest mode also get unlocked in arcade, and they tend to be a lot better than the ones available when you first start playing the game. There's also a heavy luck element, with each stage containing a pachinko minigame. You collect balls as you make your way through the stage, then use them in the minigame to secure materials used for unlocking weapons in quest mode, or points in arcade mode.

 


So, it's not a good shooting game. But is it a good game? Yes. There's two big factors that sway my opinion in its favour. The first is that that it's a game that's overflowing with charm. The graphics are all really cute pixel art, drawn with very bright colours and a very endearing, slightly messy style. There's lots of little references to other shooting games like Twinbee and Fantasy Zone. Nozomi makes little comments in the top corner of the screen based on what's currently happening in-game. When you're in the shop, you can see a bunch of little easter egg items from elswhere inthe game on the shelves in the background, and these even change from stage to stage! 

 


The second, more important factor is that this is a game with an overwhelming surplus of ideas, to the extent that I feel like that's worthy of respect on its own. As well as the aforementioned pachinko minigame and weapon shop/development system, I still haven't mentioned the game's eponymous gimmick! You shoot your normal weapon by just holding down the fire button, but when you press it, you shoot out a giant harpoon! There's various things the harpoon can hook onto, the main use being pulling apart larger enemies and bosses: pull the heads off of birds, the shells from snails, the rooves from buildings, and so on. There's some bosses where you have to pull away the boss' armour with your harpoon, then let go, and before it snaps back, shoot the harpoon to pull out the vulnerable cockpit! On top of that, there's a system of Dynamite Headdy-style secret bonuses, including hidden items, as well as secret little tasks, like pulling part of an enemy away from it, then while it's hooked, flying round it in a circle.

 


This is a fun and charming little game, and definitely worth your time, as long as you can disconnect the part of your brain that expects a certain kind of purity from shooting games. I recommend it, with that caveat. I'd also like to know if anyone has any information on the developer, Wandering Wonder. I haven't been able to find anything myself, and I'd like to know what else they've done!

No comments:

Post a Comment