Friday, 21 August 2026

Gegege no Kitaro: Youkai Daigekisen (DS)


 Gegege no Kitaro is one of those series I think everyone's aware of through its influence, but it's not widely seen or read by English-speaking audiences. This game was apparently released to celebrate the fortieth anniversary of the first Gegege TV anime, though to be honest, there's been a pretty steady stream of Gegege games (Gegegames?) coming out since at least the Famicom. Those games have manifest in a few genres, and in this case, it's a platformer.

 


I think the big draw for the game is the graphics: on the surface level, they're made up of beautifully-drawn pixel art, but what I really loved is what that art depicts. The game is set in a modern Japan that's just a little grimier, a little darker, and a little spookier than real life. It's not the kind of over-the-top grime and dirt seen in a lot of 2010s American horror movies, it's just presenting slightly murkier spaces than the average suburbanite might be comfortable inhabiting, and even within that specific setting, there's still a lot of variety in the backgrounds. I think it looks beautiful! All the characters and monsters are full of character and charm, too, and all fit perfectly into the world depicted.

 


The game itself is surprisingly simple for a platformer of this vintage. You can jump and double jump, you can shoot your hair straight forward, and you can kick your sandals at your foes for a slightly more powerful attack. You can also have Kitaro use his stripey waistcoat thing as a shield or a parachute, the latter use being a big part of navigating later stages. And it is an actual platformer with actual platofrming, too! A lot of the challenge actually comes from testing the player's skill in navigating big stages, with combat actually being pretty simple. Having said that, though, another highlight of the game, both mechanically and aesthetically, are the gigantic bosses that appear at the ends of the stages, including one of the coolest and most impressive gashadokuro I've ever seen in a videogame!

 


For all of the praise I've given it, I do have a pretty big problem with this game: the difficulty. The first few stages are moderate: they don't feel like a cakewalk, but they're not particularly challenging. Then stage five is a massive step up in difficulty. Throughout the game, there are glowing orb things to collect, and once you've got a hundred of them, you get a short period of invincibility. They re-appear if you leave an area and re-enter it. There was a point in stage five where it seemed like the only way to progress was to keep going in and out of the area until you can use invincibility to get through. Then on stage six, there was another area that felt the same way, but that's where my patience with the game ran out and I stopped playing.

 


There is a possibility that this dramatic uptick in difficulty is a deliberate decision, though, as after stage five, there's and ending and the credits roll. So maybe the final four stages are intended to be a kind of optional "for super players" type thing? That makes it a little more forgivable, but it also means the actual game is only about forty minutes long. I dunno. That doesn't really matter nowadays, though, since you're likely to be playing via emulation of a flash cart anyway. (I did look up the game on Suruga-ya, and it's listed for about the same price as it would have been brand new, which is a lot more reasonable than most older Gegege games (gegegames).)

No comments:

Post a Comment