The thing that really stands out about Hammerlock when you start playing a match is that the screen is split into three horizontal areas: the middle shows the arena, and the little sprites of the wrestlers and referee inhabiting it, and the top and bottom areas showing big close-ups of each wrestlers. As the action gets underway and the actual match gets going, the middle part will sometimes be moved to the top or bottom, to allow for a big version of a move that's taking place in-ring, filling two thirds of the entire screen. It's a display of spectacle befitting pro wrestling!
Even more impressive is that while you might expect the individual wrestlers to be represented in the larger scale animations by generic pugilists, but no: the entire roster of twelve wrestlers each has unique sprites at both sizes! Very impressive for a cartridge game released in 1994! In fact, this is generally a game that could only have been released at this time: eight-bit consoles would have a hard time with the three-way split-screen, never mind the huge animations, while this whole approach would have been pointless on more powerful consoles that could push polygons, and with them, offer moving cameras.
What's also interesting about the roster is that while it's mostly made up of the regular faces you expect from Japanese wrestling games of this era: copyright-friendly versions of Hulk Hogan, Big Van Vader, The Great Muta, and so on, a lot of them have been changed more than they usually are. Hogan's stand-in Sam Warhammer, for example, looks more like a red-bearded viking than an orange-skinned surfer guy. Also, it's a little unusual that there's no fake Jushin Liger in there, but there is a fake Lex Luger. And only one fake Road Warrior.
So, that thing that turned me away from the game in my teenage years? Well, like a lot of the better wrestling games, it attempts a Fire Pro-like timing-based system, but the problem is that it's not really clear exactly when you're supposed to make the input to successfully perform moves when going into a lock-up. I've somehow mangaed to win a few matches, though I can't do it consistently, and it seems like when I think I've figured out the timing, the next match begins and I'm getting it wrong every time once again. I'm not sure if it's a flaw in the design, its implementation, or (most likely) my playing, but it's frustrating.
Hammerlock Wrestling (or Genichiro Tenryu no Puroresu Revolution) is obviously a high-quality game, and I really wish I could figure out what it is that's stopping me from consistently pulling off moves successfully. As it is, though, I definitely think it's worth a try, at least, just to see a game with such an ambitious presentation. It really feels like that even though it was developed as a tie-in to an independent promotion, the developers wanted to make a game that stood out, looking bigger and more spectacular than the games put out by the likes of New Japan and WWF.
-260908-224454.png)
-260908-224728.png)
-260908-225842.png)
-260909-002416.png)
-260909-003213.png)
-260909-192250.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment